Company history

1898 – The year of foundation

1898 – The year of foundation

The invention of the dynamo machine by Werner von Siemens in 1866 marks the beginning of the promising development of electrical engineering.

Paul Rauschert senior, a trained milling specialist from Mark Brandenburg, sees the opportunity and establishes a factory on 1st July 1898 in Huettengrund/Thuringia, to produce electro-porcelain.

By 1904, he is already operating three circular furnaces, and with 150 employees, he produces insulators for overhead power lines,  but also beer bottle caps and furniture knobs.

Ernst Metzler
Ernst Metzler
(1875-1959)


Paul Rauschert
Paul Rauschert
(1889-1955)
Carl P. Rauschert
Carl P. Rauschert
(1888-1924)


Egon Rauschert
Egon Rauschert
(1904-1980)

1923 – 25 years of Rauschert

1923 – 25 years of Rauschert

For the 25th company anniversary, the 65-year-old founder looks over a successful factory group of which he is the owner. He has taken over other firms in the Kronach region and turned them into modern factories: In 1909, Pressig, under the direction of his son-in-law and associate Ernst Metzler, 1912 Steinwiesen, directed by his son Paul and 1914 Steinbach am Wald, directed by his son Carl.

The product programme has been expanded with lighting porcelain (smoke guards for gas lamps) thread guides, porcelain accumulators, aerial insulators and a variety of small consumer goods. The hourly wage for workers is 16 pfennigs.

Beleuchtungsporzellan
Traditional porcelain products

1948 – 50 years of Rauschert

1948 – 50 years of Rauschert

A dramatic period comes to an end with the Second World War:

In 1924, Carl Rauschert dies in a traffic accident. Paul has to return to the main factory. His younger brother Egon takes over the production site in Steinwiesen.

In 1927, the Rauschert group acquires an important competitor, the porcelain factory Gebr. Pohl in Schmiedeberg, with subsidiary factories in Erdmannsdorf and Haselbach. Paul Rauschert junior becomes director. Rauschert now has 2200 employees. Steatite and Pyrolit (cordierite) are added to the production programme.

In 1929, Paul Rauschert senior dies. The Great Depression hits the company hard.

In 1931/32, Rauschert temporarily has only 60 employees.

Through inheritance disputes, Rauschert loses the factories of Huettengrund and Steinwiesen in 1933. The same becomes true for the Silesian factories at the end of the war in 1945.

In 1940, Gottfried Paul Rauschert and in 1944, Paul Ernst Metzler enter the company and begin rebuilding it.

PorcelainRauschert-subsidiaries
All Rauschert-subsidiaries in 1927
at a glance:
(1) Hüttengrund
(2) Pressig
(3) Steinwiesen
(4) Steinbach am Wald
(5) Schmiedeberg
(6) Zillertal-Erdmannsdorf
(7) Haselbach

1973 – 75 years of Rauschert

1973 – 75 years of Rauschert

In its anniversary year, Rauschert is looking optimistically to the future. In difficult circumstances, the company has kept on showing its innovative force.

In 1950, under the direction of Gottfried Rauschert, the Oberbettingen factory began operating. The factories of Pressig and Steinbach a.W. that remained after the war, are again running at full steam.
In 1965, Rauschert again acquires the former factory of Steinwiesen. Dietrich Rauschert becomes director.

In 1966, one third of the Rauschert turnover, from the bottle cap business, is lost. Rainer Kober, managing director from 1969, sets up the gift items programme Funny Design in the Steinwiesen factory that was particularly hard hit.

In 1967, the product range is extended by plastic injection moulding in Oberbettingen. Rauschert now has a total of 600 employees.

Funny Design Managing directors
From left to right:
Rainer Kober,
Paul Ernst Metzler,
Gottfried P. Rauschert,
Dietrich Rauschert

1998 – 100 years of Rauschert

1998 – 100 years of Rauschert

The first century has been completed and Rauschert can look back on 25 years of constant expansion. With Rauschert Portuguesa, the company has had its first foreign subsidiary since 1973 in Portugal.

In 1976, the process technology business division is inaugurated with new products and its own plant construction for chemistry and environmental protection.

This is followed in 1978 by the acquisition of the aluminium oxide thread guide production line from Friedrichsfeld (Degussit).

In 1982, Rauschert reaches further out and establishes the US factory in Madisonville/Tennessee.

Roland P. Rauschert (1990), Dr. Richard Metzler (1993) and Tom P. Rauschert (1997) become directors of the company.

In 1994, Rauschert takes a stake in a Czech porcelain manufacturer. This results in the formation of the company Elpor-Rauschert s.r.o., Bohosudov.

In 1995, Rauschert has its own quality assurance system certified according to ISO 9001.

In 1996, Rauschert acquires the porcelain factory Kloster Veilsdorf in Thuringia, an important competitor before the war and after the border has been reopened. In addition the Czech company Rauschert k.s. in Horni Slavkov is created.

In 1997, Rauschert takes over the former Silesian Rauschert factory Erdmannsdorf, which is now called Myslakowice, in Poland.

In 1998, a new steatite production site is built in Heinersdorf/Thuringia.
Rauschert now has 1500 employees at 10 locations.

100 years of RauschertYarn guidesPlastic tower packingQuality

The second century

The second century

The internationally oriented company is restructured. Various divisions of Rauschert form legally independent entities.

In 2002, the acquisition of a ceramics factory in Barcelona results in the formation of Rauschert Espana. In the same year, production of ceramic modules (PTC ceramics) begins in Hermsdorf.

In 2003, Rauschert’s presence in southern Europe is strengthened with the foundation of Rauschert Italia.

From 2003 to 2005, there are new foundations in China (Shanghai), India (Pondicherry) and Mexico (Aguascalientes). Rauschert is now ready to meet the challenges of globalisation.

Ignition electrodes & flames sensorsFiltration membranes

In 2006, Inopor is established. The joint venture establishes itself as a powerful supplier of ceramic filtration systems. In the same year, the process technology division is sold.

In 2009, the new divisions of “Functional components and Hybrids”, “Engineering” and “Solar Technology” are established.

Today, Rauschert is a company with a global presence, with 11 production sites and 12 additional sales locations. We offer tailor-made products made of technical ceramics and moulded plastic parts for industrial customers – always in step with the times.

Paul Rauschert

Paul Rauschert,
the company's founder